Sales Assistant duties and responsibilitiesA Sales Assistant may be responsible for a variety of tasks, depending on the needs of the sales team and the industry they work in. Some duties and responsibilities of a Sales Assistant include:
- Answering a combination of phone calls, emails, and online chat messages to provide initial support to customers
- Processing sales orders accurately and completely
- Creating sales reports to share with executive leadership and senior members of the sales team
- Adhering to the procedures and guidelines of the company
- Staying up-to-date with emerging trends, available merchandise, and new products that the company will offer to clients and customers
- Working with the production team to make sure the sales team is able to fulfil pending and approved orders
- Pre-screening sales leads and sharing information with a member of the sales team for follow-up
Sales Assistant skills and qualificationsSales Assistants work in a dynamic environment, so they must remain aware of customer expectations. A successful Sales Assistant candidate must possess various prerequisite skills and qualifications to enable them to perform their duties, including:
- Excellence verbal and communication skills
- Comprehensive understanding of their area of sales, including fast-moving items and consumer goods
- Ability to stay helpful, polite, and confident, and have the resources to resolve customer issues
- Comfortable working with other members of the sales team to support their process and goals
- Ability to manage inventory, adhere to a schedule, and gather updates from the production team
- Willing to learn customer relationship management (CRM) software to build and maintain client and customer databases
- Excellent knowledge of customer service and sales standards
- Ability to multitask, prioritise, organise, meet deadlines, be dependable, and stay flexible.
Sales Assistant experience requirementsA Sales Assistant is an entry-level position that usually doesn’t require any experience, although having experience in customer service, working within different computer programs, and performing work in an office setting may be preferable.
Sales Assistant education and training requirementsA candidate typically requires a high school diploma to qualify for the role of Sales Assistant, and it’s generally an added advantage if a candidate has an associate’s degree, especially in a business-related course. However, it may be preferable to consider those with a bachelor’s degree in business administration, marketing, sales, or a related field. The needs of a sales team are unique in every industry, but all candidates should have an understanding of customer service etiquette, and have experience organising data and creating presentations.
Sales Assistant salary expectations
- Compensation: Base + Commission
- Location: Hybrid ( Etobicoke office & Home + Canada must be GTA based).